Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Digit-al Dozen DOES Texture, Day 4: Dewy Leaves!

Good morning, readers! Today is Day 4 of Texture with The Digit-al Dozen! I may be stretching the theme a bit too much for this manicure, though. Dew on leaves is certainly 3D, but you can't touch it without flattening out the water droplets. Anyway, I thought I would try to create the same effect using thick top coat and dotting tools.

  • I started with two coats of Barry M Gelly Key Lime.
  • Then, I used a small nail art brush and OPI My Vampire Is Buff to create simple leaf veins.
  • I grabbed a half way used up bottle of Seche Vite top coat (wanting a thicker formula) and dabbed a glob onto my placemat. 
  • Then, I used a dotting tool and swirled it while I blew on it to dry it out a bit more. This is exactly what I do when I am going to do the sugar spun technique.
  • Once it was thicker, I dabbed different sized dots all over my nails. If the top coat wasn't dried out more than normal, it would start to flatten out defeating the purpose of the dew drops.
Aside from the bubbles that seemed to be in the bigger dew drops (probably from swirling to dry out), they turned out just as I planned. I'll have to try to let the top coat dry sitting instead of swirling next time to see if I can avoid the bubbles.



Kind of weird, right? What do you think? The globs actually did dry 3D on the nail as they appear in the pictures, so there was a "texture" as opposed to just a visual texture with real dewy leaves. Thanks so much for reading and come back tomorrow for the final texture manicure!



Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this nail art! So creative, so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever that I can't even think of the right way to compliment you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it so much - such a "real" feel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super unique and well-executed, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are insanely awesome and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so cool, you're so creative with these themes, i'm really jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are AWESOME! I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. STOOOOP! I am in love - you're my winner for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just mind blowingly amazing. I know you are not loving the bubbles in the bigger 'drops' but I think it makes them look more real (and yes I am aware that real dew drops don't have bubbles so it doesn't make sense). This is really just amazing. I have loved all your textured designs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have been wanting to do a mani like this for ages! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so very creative...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha this is brilliant! And pretty =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks so real! another outstanding creation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh what a good tip about the sugar spun technique - I usually just sit there waiting like a dummy instead of blowing on it >.< I LOVE THESE NAILS!!

    ReplyDelete